Winter break is a great time to set up some practice matches for your junior players. Practice matches can be scheduled in non-prime time for the practice match rate of $22/hour. If you don’t have a partner or need some suggestions, Don Campbell is our practice match expert. Talk with Don or leave him a message and he will assist you in setting up some matches. Pros may have more lesson times and courts available over the break for private lessons. Speak with your favorite coach to schedule a time.
The Junior Singles Club Championships will be held Friday, December 15, through Tuesday, December 19. This is a nonsanctioned singles tournament for HVTC members. The entry fee is $29 and includes court time and balls. Please sign up at the desk and inform the desk staff of your availability by Wednesday, December 13.
Trophies are awarded to all finalists if at least six players enter the draw.
Consolation matches will be arranged for those eliminated in the first round.
During a potluck supper on Wednesday, December 13, Clare North, Mike Ware, and the Huron Valley professional staff honor the junior players (8th grade and below) who have distinguished themselves during the year. The annual Junior Awards Banquet includes free tennis 5–6pm and dinner at 6. Junior members 8th grade and below and their parents are invited. Call the front desk to RSVP with number of family members and to put your potluck dish on the list. Please, no Jello or pies.
- Wednesday, December 13 Junior Awards Banquet (5pm tennis, 6pm potluck) and tournament entry deadline
- Thursday, December 14 Last meeting of men’s leagues until January 7
- Friday, December 15 Junior Singles Club Championships begin
- Monday–Sunday, December 18–31 – No Clinic Practice Day, Super Excellence, or Men’s and Women’s Night; guest fees waived
- Sunday, December 24 Open 8am–2pm; court fee $26/hour (no SCT)
- Monday, December 25 Merry Christmas! Club is closed.
- Tuesday, December 26 Sweet Spot Café is closed.
- Sunday, December 31 Open 8am–5pm; court fee $26/hour (no SCT)
- Monday, January 1 Open 9am–2pm; court fee $26/hour (no SCT)
- Friday, January 5 B14 and under tournament (novice), 7–9pm
- Monday, January 8 First day of Junior Excellence session III and adult clinics session 4
- Friday, January 12 First day of junior clinics session 4
- Friday, January 12 Mixed Doubles Night, 7–9pm
- Friday, January 26 Junior Pizza Party, 7–9pm
- Friday, February 2 Boys’ 10U tournament (green dot), 7–9pm
The club awards bronze, silver, and gold medals to juniors (through 8th grade) based on accumulated points. Tournament play is 3 points, interclub matches are 2 points, and practice matches are 1 point. Players are encouraged to keep track of their tennis throughout the year. A scoring sheet is available at the front desk and by the pro office. Players whose yearly total is 20–35 points earn a bronze, those with 36–49 points get silver, and those who have 50+ points earn the gold. Point totals need to be handed in at the desk by December 11.