During a potluck supper on Wednesday, December 13, Clare North, Mike Ware, and the Huron Valley professional staff honor the junior players (8th grade and below) who have distinguished themselves during the year. The annual Junior Awards Banquet includes free tennis 5–6pm and dinner at 6. Junior members 8th grade and below and their parents are invited. Call the front desk to RSVP with number of family members and to put your potluck dish on the list. Please, no Jello or pies.
- Wednesday, December 13 Junior Awards Banquet (5pm tennis, 6pm potluck) and tournament entry deadline
- Thursday, December 14 Last meeting of men’s leagues until January 7
- Friday, December 15 Junior Singles Club Championships begin
- Monday–Sunday, December 18–31 – No Clinic Practice Day, Super Excellence, or Men’s and Women’s Night; guest fees waived
- Sunday, December 24 Open 8am–2pm; court fee $26/hour (no SCT)
- Monday, December 25 Merry Christmas! Club is closed.
- Tuesday, December 26 Sweet Spot Café is closed.
- Sunday, December 31 Open 8am–5pm; court fee $26/hour (no SCT)
- Monday, January 1 Open 9am–2pm; court fee $26/hour (no SCT)
- Friday, January 5 B14 and under tournament (novice), 7–9pm
- Monday, January 8 First day of Junior Excellence session III and adult clinics session 4
- Friday, January 12 First day of junior clinics session 4
- Friday, January 12 Mixed Doubles Night, 7–9pm
- Friday, January 26 Junior Pizza Party, 7–9pm
- Friday, February 2 Boys’ 10U tournament (green dot), 7–9pm
The club awards bronze, silver, and gold medals to juniors (through 8th grade) based on accumulated points. Tournament play is 3 points, interclub matches are 2 points, and practice matches are 1 point. Players are encouraged to keep track of their tennis throughout the year. A scoring sheet is available at the front desk and by the pro office. Players whose yearly total is 20–35 points earn a bronze, those with 36–49 points get silver, and those who have 50+ points earn the gold. Point totals need to be handed in at the desk by December 11.
The annual Junior Doubles Club Championship is a non-sanctioned doubles tournament for HVTC junior members. Events include Boys’ and Girls’ 16–18 and 12–14 divisions. The entry deadline is Tuesday, November 21; fee is $16 per player. Format will be similar to our two-hour mini tournaments, with dates and times to be announced. Each will run 2-3 hours. Ask the staff if you need help finding a partner.
Thanksgiving week is a good time to set up a private lesson. With no groups meeting, there are extra courts available. Contact your favorite coach now to set one up. Pros have lesson times available, and parent-child court time is an option during the week before 4:30pm. Practice matches are also possible; ask the desk staff for more information on any of these opportunities. The club will be open 9am–1pm on Thanksgiving, and courts are offered at a special rate of $26 per hour. Come and enjoy a rigorous morning of tennis prior to settling in for your turkey dinner.